Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

March 14, 2011

We Got Goats!

Saturday was the day to get the two goat does sheared and put in the barn where they would comfortably wait out the rest of their pregnancy...about two weeks (in my estimation). Before I even got bundled up to spend most of the day outside, my DH heard the high pitch cries of baby goats coming from the hut in the pasture. I was outside in no time. Our doe, Hope, delivered twin doe-lings.

By the end of the day, the second doe, Red, was in labor and delivered a set of twins about 8:00 p.m.-- a doe and a buck. Red had a tougher time in that the first kid had a leg tucked back and the other leg folded under. I did go in and find the legs and brought them forward and then worked with the doe and during her contractions and pushing helped bring the little girl into the world. Then her buck came feet first, but very easily. Both kids are fine and Red was tired. Here are a couple of video clips and pics of the goats:





Twin Angora goat does -- Harley and Henny, mom is Hope.
Twin Angora goats, a doe and buck -- Rhoda and Ranger, mom is Red. 
So much for my estimation of their due dates. Next year I won't cut it so close.

1 comment:

Somerhill said...

WOW, that was quick! Pretty babies