Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

December 29, 2009

A Real Slick Pick!

A wool picker, that is. Thanks to DH (aka Santa) this wonderful wool picker was waiting under the tree on Christmas morning. How neat! I've contemplated a picker for quite some time now. I absolutely love to hand comb and card locks of wool, or other fiber, for my proejcts, but let's face it, with a flock of 20 - 25 sheep, Angora rabbits, a couple of llamas, and Angora goats on the way, I have to speed up the process. Ya, I do send to the mill what I know I can't process, but I do want to process as much as I can myself. My new picker will help me out.

Fancy Kitty Wool Picker

As soon as it was set up in the basement, I ran some washed Lincoln through and in literally minutes I had a box full of picked wool ready for the drum carder. Wow! I was awe-struck.

Picker with cradle pulled back (gritting its teeth).


Picker with cradle pulled forward.

So, if anyone is looking for me, you know where I'll be.....in the basement just a pickin' and grinnin'!

No comments: