Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

September 9, 2009

Bunny Bungalow

One of my current projects is to build hutches for my five angora bunnies. Three of the buns are in cages and two are in temporary hutches. My guys (all bucks) will be with me for all their years so I want them to be comfortable and to be able to stretch their legs.

My goal was to build all five over Labor Day weekend...HA! Turned out that I got one done so far. It's the prototype. My sister, Ellen, came over to lend a hand and was very helpful working out all the details and thinking things through. See, I didn't start with written plans, I winged it as I went along so this first hutch took a lot of time.

I want each hutch to have two levels with a ramp going up to the second floor. The first obstacle we ran into was the ramp would be way too steep because each level is about 24". So we figured a way to build in a two-section ramp. At first I thought the hutch was too big for a little bunny. When I finished, I put Sal, the bunny in the smallest cage, in the hutch to see how he maneuvered around. Every inch was worth every minute I spent (and Ellen) on the hutch! There are a few things I'll do different on the next hutch but overall it works very well.

Checking out the upper level
(where the food and water are)

Next step....hutch #2!

No comments: