Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

July 3, 2009

Master Spinner Program (Level 2) - Day 5

I woke up this morning to September-like weather. Last night it rained and the wind blew for a while. I think I'm going to buy a heavier jacket today. I came prepared for hot and humid weather like last year, but it's much different this year. I've already bought another suitcase so what's one more jacket.

Day 5:
It's actually 8:00 a.m. and class starts at 9:00 but the library closes early tonight so I want to get my post up now. And when class gets out I have a ton of packing to do (especially now that I have two suitcase). Plus it has to be an early night because our airport shuttle van is picking us up at 5:00...yikes!

Today we are going to find out what we got on yesterday's test and review it. I had a dream that I didn't quite get a passing grade on the test and Gayle, the instructor, whispered in my ear that she's going to pass me anyways as long as I understood my incorrect answered. I know it's just a dream, but now I'm sort of anxious to see how I did on the test. Do dreams really come true? I hope not! I've always done quite well in school so this dream has thrown me for a loop....it's just a dream, though.

After the test review we are going to work on drop spindles and learn how to Navajo ply on the drop spindle while spinning. It's called the "Navajo ply on the fly" technique. I forgot to pack a drop spindle (did I really or was it intentional?....hmmm) so I had to buy one here. It's a beautiful Tom Forrester with a design of a spinning goddess etched on the top whorl. Simply dreamy. SO, I'll be able to use my new drop spindle in class today. Oh, I also bought a Forrester support spindle...it very neat (pics to follow). Anyway...

We are also going to have a timed spin to determine how much time it will take us to spin a specific type of yarn. We'll use this info to help with our sweater calculation homework. THEN we're going to recreate the yarn that was used in the Lord of the Rings shawl (the one that makes you invisible). A woman whose name I forgot analyzed the yarn in the shawl to determine the twist per inch and grist (wraps per inch). We're going to spin to those specifications and hopeful absorb some magical energy along the way!

I think the afternoon is going to spent going over our workbook assignments. Our workbook(s) is the year's worth of assignment we have to do at home, assemble in binders, and ship to the instructor for marking. When we leave class today, we have to be very clear on what is expected.

Our Level 2 class was large enough to divide into two classes. So today both Level 2 classes are going to see if we can take our instructors out to lunch. They are wonderful people and truly passionate about spinning, weaving, wool, fiber, and everything else that goes into this wonderful artistic medium; and we, the students, want to recognize how incredible they've been all week. I hope there's time to take them to lunch. Even though it's the last day we still have specific topics that we have to cover, so lunch may not happen.

I'm signing off until I get home. I'll post pictures to my photo gallery, then post the link.

Spin On!

No comments: