Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

February 11, 2009

Bye Bye Pacas

Today was sort of sad. Our herd of alpacas left us and went to a new home out in Missouri. This evening in the rain and mud we led, coaxed, pulled, and even carried them to the trailer.
This is Coco, our youngest cria and the first one with color. She is ultra sweet, very spirited, and has a mind of her own.

This pic is of brother-in-law, Mitch, saying good bye to Morpheus, our awesome herdsire. Morpheus had a special bond with Mitch. It's like Mitch was the alpaca whisperer, Morph would do anything for Mitch. Bye Morph, may you breed until you hearts content!

It was a good four-year run with the alpacas. I will ALWAYS have a soft spot in my heart for them. And I've met a ton of good people who raise alpacas and I know where to get really good fleece.

This pic is me giving Rosie a big hug. Rosie is ready to start breeding in the spring. She is Morpheus' first offspring. She's very cute! Bye Rosie Girl!


And this is me and my Phoebe. Phoebe is due with her first cria in May. Phoebe and I touched noses every time I was on feed duty. She liked the smell of my hairspray as she would touch my nose and smell my hair, then walk away. She got grumpy once she was pregnant, but I could relate so we stayed friends. She was the first alpaca that I ever sheared (and it showed!!!). Bye Pheebs!

Here's a pic of the girls: Athena, Cali, Phoebe, Rosie, and Coco. The boys, Morpheus and Gabe, are on the other side of the barn.

I have loads of alpaca roving from these guys and girls. As I spin their fiber, I'll take comfort in knowing they are in a good place, revel in the joy they brought me, and marvel at what they've taught me over the last four years. Godspeed and happy landings!

No comments: