Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

August 20, 2008

Lambs Love the Michigan Fiber Festival

We had a great weekend at the Michigan Fiber Festival. After we got to the Allegan fairgrounds and settled the lambs into their pens, they figured out what they were doing there and were ready for the show ring. Our big boy Amos won first place in the Senior Ram Lamb class and then took Reserve Champion Ram. He's ready for next year. Check out the pic:


Then Amos and Chase were matched up and entered into the Pair of Ram Lamb class and won second place. Way to go boys! There are proudly showing off in the pic:


The four ram lambs that we took to the festival are pictured below. We also took two ewe lambs, but they left with their new owner heading for Minnesota.

And, mostly importantly, I made time for some shopping. I ended up getting all the raw fiber I need for my Breeds Book. I found a vendor that was selling raw fleeces by the pound and picked up a few there. Then I got a few breeders to sell me a pound or two of fleece from their sheep instead of having to buy an entire fleece. I did buy an entire Coopworth fleece because it looked so good I couldn't pass it up. Seven of the fleeces are shown here in the pic. I'll pick up the other three within the next month. So now I have to get busy with my Breeds Book for my Level One homework.

Next week...going to the Michigan State Fair to watch the wool sheep show, sheep shearing competition, and checking out the arts competitions. I entered three skeins of yarn. Can't wait to see how they placed :-)!

No comments: