Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

July 2, 2010

Fibre Week 2010 - Day 7

Now that today’s class is over I have TPI, cotton, silk, novelty yarns, count systems, wool, wheels, and spindles dancing in my head. And after I have a few days at home to get settled back in with hubby and the critters, I’ll start in on my homework and stay ahead of the eight ball this year.

We got through the course material today and had time to look at in-depth studies of past graduates. The in-depth studies are kept in the library on campus so we reviewed as many as we can. We still have a few years to decide what we want to do for our in-depth study but it’s always good to start thinking about it now.

Here are a few final pics from today, mostly of the women I spent the week with. They are all truly awesome. Everyone comes from different place and is so interesting. And our instructor, Michelle Boyd, is awesome. She truly have a ton of knowledge and experience that needs to come out in a book. I’ve learn so much from her this week and info that I know will stay with me as I continue to learn throughout the Master Spinner Program and outside of the program.


Master Spinner Program Level 3 class


Sharon, Lois, and Val


Michelle Boyd


Me

O.k., I have to fess up and show what I bought this week. It’s really not too much volume-wise so packing shouldn’t be too much trouble. I swore I wouldn’t bring home any new fiber and I almost stuck to my guns. Because I have as much wool, mohair, and angora as I want, I didn’t want any new fiber for awhile. And besides, I’m really developing a passion for working with raw fleece…basically taking wool from the sheep’s back (or the goat or the bunny), to my wheel, then to my needles or loom. Commerical roving and yarn doesn’t really light that spark like a good raw fleece does. So, anyway there was this English Leicester fleece from last Sunday’s Wool Judging 2 class that had my name on it, so it’s coming home with me. Here are pics of most of the new stuff I’m bringing home (of course, there is a bag full of fiber from class this week that’s making the flight home.)


English Leicester fleece





Two drop spindles and a Takli support spindle

Tibetan and Russian Support Spindle

These Russian and Tibetan spindles are made by Ed Tabachek of Canada. They are spectacular! The wood and detail is gorgeous. And it just so happens that Ed Tabechek spent the whole week up here at Fibre Week. I got the chance to chat with him a bit…he’s very nice.

Then as we were spinning in our classroom we could hear this wonderful music drifting down the hallways. Turns out Mr. T plays the cello and was passing the time in the atrium with his cello. What a special touch!

O.K., now it’s really time to get packing. Shuttle leaves for Calgary in the morning and I have to be on it!

1 comment:

Kim MacKenzie said...

Carol you did a fantastic job showing our class and what we did, thank you! It was a pleasure to meet you. I hope to see you next year in level 4. Kim