Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

June 30, 2010

Fibre Week 2010 - Day 4

After a day of spinning cotton on the spinning wheel, a support spindle, and a quill spindle, my brain is just about fried. But cotton spun on the Takli spindle is wonderful. I see visions of projects dancing in my head. Wednesday is our dye day...that should be very colorful! Instead of blathering on about this and that, I'm just going to post Tuesday's pics from class and from the Tuesday evenings fashion show.

My cabled yarn.

A seed of cotton (on the right) and the cotton lint coming from the seed.

Using a book charka. I think there might be one in my future.
(Gandhi used the book charka to take to meetings with the British. He spun while they talked. The British thought that was rude. Go Mahatma!)

Michele (our instructor) demo-ing the quill spindle.

THE FASHION SHOW.
I am in awe of the work created by so many talented people.

Just about every usable fiber can be found in the items (wool, alpaca, llama, angora, mohair, cashmere, yak, qiviut, camel, bison, silk, cotton...I know I probably forgot some). Items were knitted, crocheted, woven, felted, sewn...bobbin lace was also used in some items. The pictures do not do justice to the level of detail and design on some items. Sit back and scroll down through the pics.

(This knit blanket was knit during the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. The knitter cast on during the opening ceremonies and cast off during the closing ceremonies.)




No comments: