Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

January 17, 2010

Baby Stuff

Most baby gifts are done and were finished just in time for the shower. I made a small baby blanket on my RH loom. A plain weave with a two-color warp and multi-colored weft. Then sewed on a satin blanket binding. Having a binding around the edge made it easy because I didn't have to worry so much about even selvedges. When I learn how to weave a double width piece of fabric, then I can make our grand daughter a larger blanket so her toes can stay covered.
With the left over multi-colored yarn, I had enough to knit a newborn cap. I whipped it up one evening with size nine DPNs.
The other cap I made has ear flaps. With a skein of self-striping sock yarn and size two circs, I casted on about 132 stitches. Before the cast on, I knitted the ear flaps on two separate DPNs and left them on the DPNs. Then using the circs I cast on 20 stitches, knitted on 21 stitches from the first ear flap, cast on 52 stitches, knitted on 21 stitches from the second ear flap, then cast on the remaining 20 onto the circs (note: the 52 stitches make up the from of cap and the first 20 cast on and the last 20 cast on make up the back of the cap). So when the cast on is complete, the ear flaps are on and you can knit the cap using your favorite pattern or your own stitch design. The ear flaps can also be brought up to the top of the cap and tied together if aren't being used.
I would have loved to use my handspun yarn, but being baby items I figured that a washable yarn was more practical.

Now I can move on to the final baby project (which I'll post here when complete) and then onto my homework for the Master Spinner Program.

No comments: