Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

Chronicles of a yarn farmer, shepherdess, and fiber geek!

April 13, 2009

Fingers in the Fiber

At Saturday's spinning guild meeting I got a chance to make a nice piece of felt out of an angora/ merino batt with a little bit of silk in it and a touch of angelina. It is wonderful. I started out with a lovely 20" x 36" batt from Susan Wiley of Wiley Woolies and she demonstrated how to turn it into felt.

Batt (52% Angoro, 46% Merino, 2% Silk, touch of Angelina)

Wetting the batt with soapy water.

Rubba dub dub -- up and down, side to side. There's actually a thin piece of plastic on top of the batt. It is wet and soapy, which allows my hands to glide along and agitate the fiber.

The angora in the batt is from Sue Wiley's German Angoras.

Wa laaa! Felt. Very soft (and strong) piece of felt.

My plans are to cut out a pair (or two) of mittens. Sue makes very nice and soft mittens. I'll probably follow her pattern. Whatever I end up doing, you can bet I'll post it here.

No comments: